Journal Bhavnagar University

Dec, 2016

 

Dec, 2016
Vol-6 Issue - 2 (Semi-annual Publication)

 

Title of the article : Prevalence of Dental Caries in Rural India

Authors : Rajendrasinh Rathod, Jayesh Parikh

Abstract

Introduction : India is the second highest populated country with more than 1030 million populations, out of which approximately 72% live in rural areas& remaining 28% in urban areas. It is of utmost importance that the rural population of India needs to be given a lot of attention in oral and dental health education programs in an effort to reduce the rural urban disparities in terms of health. In the developing countries such as India, changing life styles and dietary patterns are distinctly expanding caries incidence. There are very few studies where in most of the villages in rural India are covered and prevalence of dental caries is recorded. This study aims to provide a broader view as has covered most of the Indian villages, and thus provide a guide to the prevalence of dental caries in people of rural India.

Material & Methods : Informed consent was taken from the residents and the purpose of the camp was explained in the local language which they understood. All the diagnostics instruments were sterilized a day prior to the camp. The patients were made comfortable on to the portable dental chair and were examined using mirror & probe. All the relevant findings were recorded in a pre-formed porforma and patients were explained regarding the same. Dental caries was recorded using the DMF index. At the end of the study all the data were analyzed and subjected to appropriate statistical analyses

Results : During the survey, maximum prevalence of dental caries was recorded in states of Jammu-Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh (Mean = 6.14), Kerala (Mean = 5.10) and Haryana and Delhi (Mean = 4.11). Least prevalence of dental caries was recorded in Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgadh (Mean = 0.88), and Orissa, West Bengal and Assam (Mean = 0.93)

CONCLUSION : Rural areas in India have less penetration of oral health experts. Each community health centre or public health centre in rural India must have an oral health professional to educate, guide and treat the rural population for better oral health.

Key Words : Dental Caries, Rural Indian Population.



ISSN (ONLINE) - 2321 - 7553

ISSN (PRINT) - 2249-443x

 

 


bujod



 




Original Research

A Comparative Evaluation of The Surface Roughness of Lithium Disilicate After Air Abrasion with Silica and Alumina Particles - An in Vitro Study.
AUTHORS: Mahesh C S , Malthesh B Savakkanavar , Jayaprakash Ittigi , Siddharth Desai , Puttaraj Tukaram Kattimani , Srinidhi Bhatt
a        a
Page no 1-4
Evaluation of Effect of Pre-operative Sublingual Oral Medication of Ketorolac-dt On Anaesthetic Efficacy of Inferior Alveolar Nerve Block With Lignoocaine In Patients With Irreversible Pulpitis :A Prospective, Randomized Clinical Trial.
AUTHORS: Purushotham R , Malthesh B Savakkanavar , Samrat R , Sujith R , Kavitha , Jayanth N
a        a
Page no 5-8
Accuracy of Impressions for Multiple Dental Implants Using Various Impression Materials And Techniques An In Vitro Study
AUTHORS: Milap. H. Karia , Ponnanna A.A. , Hiral M. Karia , Kruti Patel , Pooja Sheth ,Prashant. P. Shetty
a        a
Page no 9-15
Awareness and attitudes towards oral diseases amongst the medical students in Udaipur, Rajasthan, India A Cross Sectional Study.
Authors: Mohit Pal Singh, Lipi Sisodia, Prashant Nahar, S. Bhuvaneshwari , Margee Desai, Aveek Mukherjee
a        a
Page no 16-19
A Study to establish a proper Occlusal Plane to the Three Different head forms
Authors: Sambit Subhas, Rupesh P.L, Manish Chadha, D R V.Kumar , Rajendra Prasad, Prashant.P.Shetty
a        a

Page no 20-24
Prevalence of Dental Caries in Rural India
Authors: Rajendrasinh Rathod, Jayesh Parikh
a        a

Page no 25-27
Partial Odontectomy- To Shield The Inferior Alveolar Nerve ?
Authors: Anand Mangalgi, Ashwini Munnangi, Kundan Shah , Sudha Halkai , Syed Furqhan Uddin, Supriya Patil
a        a

Page no 28-32


REVIEW ARTICLE

Smear Layer With Different Cutting Instruments
Authors: Prashanth Kumar Katta, S Sreedhara, Ramakrishna M, Megharaj Doddagoudar
a        a
Page no 33-35
Bond Strength Tests in Dentistry
Authors: S Sreedhara, Prasanth Kumar Katta
a        a
Page no 36-38


CASE REPORTS

Lobular Capillary Haemangioma : A Case Report
Authors: Khushabu P. Deshmukh , Srujan Kumar Peruka , Prajakta Ambekar , Ruby Sayyad
a        a
Page no 39-40
Recurring Peripheral Cementifying Fibroma of Gingiva:A Case Report
Authors: Snehabhat , Aravind Kudva
a        a
Page no 41-43
Mandibular First Molar with Three Canals in the Mesial Root:A Case Report
Authors : Prashant P. Shetty , ArpitViradiya , MukundiDhaduk , Shubhprabhat Gupta
a        a
Page no 44-45